325g sifted all purpose flour
11g baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
213 g unsalted butter, room temperature
330 g granulated white sugar
188g (3 large eggs and one yolk) eggs, at room temperature
8g vanilla extract
226 ml room temperature milk
- Preheat your oven to (180 degrees C) 350 degrees F with oven rack in center of your oven. Butter two 8-inch cake pans and sprinkle flour in the buttered pans. Then line the bottoms of the pans with parchment or wax paper.
- In a bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer beat the butter until soft and creamy for about 1-2 minutes. Add the sugar in small amounts and beat until light and fluffy for about 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Do scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Then add the flour mixture in three additions and milk in two additions alternatively with the mixer on low speed, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans, smoothing the tops with the back of a spoon or an offset spatula. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool, in their pans, for about 10 minutes. Then invert the cakes onto a greased rack. Remove the parchment or wax paper and re-invert cakes so that tops are right side up. Cool completely before frosting